St Mary’s is one of the leading sporting institutions in the UK and has a long history of developing elite athletes, many of whom competed in the London 2012 Olympic Games and more recently the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Athletes are supported by a team of highly experienced staff at the University through the St Mary’s Clinic and the Sports Village, which consists of world-class sports facilities situated on the main campus and at the Teddington Lock sports ground.
In 2015 St Mary’s University celebrated its 165th Anniversary as a successful, London-based University with strong international links and a thriving campus community. Founded on Catholic values, we strive to provide a warm, inclusive and welcoming environment for all students.
St Mary’s University has been involved with the TASS programme for many years supporting TASS athletes in the region to achieve their goals in sport and education.
This TASS year St Mary’s is involved in supporting 17 athletes across 7 different sports including; athletics, boxing, canoeing, judo, rowing, rugby union and triathlon. Athlete successes from St Marys in recent years include:
• Dom Harrington (snowboard) competed at the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.
• Victoria Mullin (pistol shooting) competed for England at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
• Shona Richards (Athletics) Silver medals in the 4×400m relay and 400m hurdles in the World Junior Championships in Oregon.
• Ken Parr (50m Rifle shooting) Bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
• Sophie Papps (athletics) awarded the Jean Pickering Scholarship
• Corrine Hall (Para-cycling) World champion in the tandem B time trial at the UCI Para- Cycling Championships in Canada.
• Amy Ward (Canoeing) crowned Double European Champion in the Canoe European Marathon winning gold in the Womens K1 event and also the Womens K2.
• Ross McMullen (Canoeing) competed in the European Marathon Championships in Slovakia in both the K1 and K2 class.
• Adam Mattiussi (Weightlifting) Bronze at the British Senior Weightlifting Championships in the highly competitive 77kg category.
St Mary’s role as a TASS DELIVERY SITE (TDS)
• Ensure delivery of core TASS services to all athletes.
• Feedback progress in core services to TASS on a regular basis.
• Liaise with NGB’s to ensure appropriate athlete support.
• Promote athlete success.
For further details please contact Rory Brown: firstname.lastname@example.org