TASS scholars selected for Student Rugby League World Cup squad
TASS expects to be represented in force at the 2017 Student Rugby League World Cup taking place this summer.
Eleven players who have been supported by the Scheme have been chosen for the England Universities 33-man train-on squad.
The announcement follows regional trials across the country and the team will now begin training for the Universities World Cup in Sydney, Australia in July.
All student-athletes are also linked to professional clubs and will continue their player pathway with their respective teams post study and Universities World Cup.
The squad will train together for the first time on Saturday, March 11, when the group will be cut to 30 players when the squad will be cut to 30 players for the preparation phase of the programme, which includes five games, before again being cut to 24 players in May.
The eleven TASS-supported athletes who have selected for the opportunity to compete down under are:
- Sam Luckley – Northumbria University (2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17)
- Patrick Hargreaves – Northumbria University (2016/17)
- Jacob Morgan – University of Leeds (2015/16)
- Zack McComb – Leeds Beckett University (2016/17)
- Sam Druce – Leeds Beckett University (2016/17)
- Charlie Green – St Mary’s University (2016/17)
- Bradley Kislingbury – University of Gloucestershire (2016/17)
- Malikhi Lloyd-Jones – University of Gloucestershire (2016/17)
- James Woodburn-Hall – University of Leeds (2015/16, 2016/17)
- Jason Bass – Newcastle University (2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17)
- Marcus Stock – Sheffield Hallam University (2016)
Tony Fretwell, National Player Development Manager at The Rugby Football League is appreciative of TASS’ backing. He said:
“The RFL and England RL wish to extend a tremendous thank you to TASS for their support in the development of these athletes.”
TASS athletes receive an individual support programme consisting of six core services: strength and conditioning, psychology, lifestyle, physiotherapy, nutrition and a medical scheme.
You can support the England Universities fundraising efforts for the World Cup by donating at gofundme.com/englandunirl.